Notifications
Clear all

Book Review: Klara and The Sun

Cheryl
Admin
Topic starter
(@cheryl)
wpf-cross-image

Kazuo Ishiguro's new book, Klara and the Sun is an engaging meditation, set in a dystopian world, on the nature of sentience.

1 Reply
Cheryl
Admin
Topic starter
(@cheryl)

I didn't want to put this in my review, but...

Spoiler
Let's talk about that ending.

The ending of this book kind of broke me up!

At the ending of the book, despite that Klara, during the book, felt very sentient to me, "seeing" her in the dump, slowly declining...there was finally, a sense of "thingness" to her. She seemed, at that point, so inhuman; unconcerned with her predicament, not concerned with her abandonment (and I'm recalling her, early on, wondering about the AF walking behind his human -- would she be like him someday?)

It also left me feeling annoyed at her humans -- Josie warmly seeing her off, but at the same time thinking aloud that she might not be around by Christmas. Chrissy becoming angry with Capaldi, who wanted to use her for research into AFs, arguing that Klara deserved her, "slow fade." But it seems that Klara was, finally, abandoned to that slow fade in the dump at the end of the book. Would it have been a better end for Klara to give herself to research? Or at least to give her a quick end surrounded by the people that (we like to believe) she cared for?

Share:
Coffee Image for Email Subscribe
Get Caffeinated!

OK, we can't send you caffeine--or even coffee-- but we can send you new content. Subscribe to our email list and get new posts delivered to your inbox. If you don't specify preferences, you'll be signed up for a weekly digest of new posts in all categories, as well as occasional promotional emails and surveys. However, if you would like to customize the frequency and type of content you receive, you can sign up here.

Share via
Share this
Send this to a friend